Friday, February 27, 2009

Movie Review:

I got a new Netflix last night and it was Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 which I have wanted to see for a while. I settled down to watch it and...I liked it better than the first one. There were some corny parts (spoiler alert!) when they all just decide to go to Greece in the last few scenes. I mean of course when you are in college you have the cash to just jump a flight to Greece to look for some pants!

It was cute though and it made me think about my friendships. The conflict in the movie is how all the girls are growing up and they believe that this pair of pants that fits all of them miraculously brings them together and keeps their friendship alive - in the end they finally realize that they are friends and the pants aren't really what holds them together. It just made me think of how hard it is to stay close to your friends.

I have said before on this blog how I have been blessed with wonderful friends in my life and if I never made another friend I would still consider myself so lucky to have met the ones I have. But growing up makes it hard and moving away, having children, getting married - just living different lives makes it soooo hard to stay close. I miss my girl friends because as much as we love each other and care for each other - when you can't do lunch and you don't have time to just call and chat it really is hard to stay close. We are lucky in the fact that no matter what the time is between us we pick up where we left off each time and enjoy our time together - I think in that way our friendship has turned almost into family. We will always have each other but we don't worry or concern ourselves with keeping in constant contact. We know we are there for one another and that is enough. I love that. But, I miss them and I wish I was around them all the time.

Making new friends is hard. I mean it wasn't in college - But out in the big wide world its hard to make great connections with people. There is something about growing up with people like the gals in this movie did that makes you feel connected in a way that I have found hard to do in my few years of adulthood. I think it is because we have different needs and situations than we did before and now being married suddenly there is this other person involved in most of your friendships too. And that changes things because you each make friends differently and I have found out that we look at friendships a lot differently as well.

It sure is tough..this getting older thing! Go check out the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 - it is a really cute and fun chick flick!