Friday, December 19, 2008

The heart of the giver makes the gift dear and precious. - Martin Luther

I was thinking today about Christmas and the things that I like most about the season. I love the family gathering and that we are celebrating Christ's birth. I love the traditional warm feeling that Christmas time brings. I love the sense of giving that fills everyone's hearts. We empty our change purses for the Salvation Army guy ringing a bell. We donate to a charity. We serve food at a homeless shelter or help a friend that is in need. This season is one of real magic and it is such a special time of year. As I decorated our tree this year I could feel the familiar tugs of Christmas as it crept in. And now here it is next week and I have that familiar childlike anticipation for all the festivities.
My favorite part of the Christmas gifting thing is shopping for others and making my lists (Boy do I love me some lists!...as you know by now)and wrapping them up. I love picking out something unique and fun for each person and letting them know how I feel about them by that act. I will not lie and say I don't care about gifts for myself only that it is the last thing on my mind as I wait anxiously for my friends and family to open their gifts from me. I know they are just things but it is my way of telling others how much they mean to me. I take time and think about each person - it is my favorite part of Christmas.

What is your favorite thing about Christmas?