Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The worse kind of homesick

Nothing can make you more homesick than visiting home - now, that is a documented fact. Let me tell you about my weekend trip home. First of all, it was wonderful and I had such a great time and yet it was torture - because my flight back on Sunday was always looming in the back of my mind. The trip was just too darn short for comfort. It started this way....

I left work at 2pm on Friday in order to go home and collect Kyle before heading to the airport. Upon arrival at TPA we found our flight was delayed. The instant worry is "Will we miss our connection?". So, we sat down at a restaurant, ordered a glass of wine and waited it out. On our way to our gate we decided to stop at the mini convenience store for a pack of gum and the some magazine I can read to avoid my textbook I brought to study on the plane. Coming out of the store I do not see the giant yellow "wet floor" sign and I fall directly on to my bad knee and my earpiece goes flying across the airport floor. Onlookers see me (Kyle is in the bathroom at this moment) and continue on their way. I scramble up and limp through my almost tears to find him for some comfort. The flight gets into Memphis with just enought time to.....find out that our flight that was to delayed and without a flight crew until 9:30 (note: we were supposed to be in Tulsa at 8:50). So, we settle in to find some dinner as our dinner plans with family are clearly off. Luckily we made it to a diner with 5 minutes to spare before the kitchen closed. P.S. when traveling into Memphis bring a snack as the entire airport shuts down at 7:30 pm. At 10:30 (yes, I said 10:30) we depart. We arrive in Tulsa at a little after midnight - we get home and I completely collapse into bed with exhaustion. Sorry Mom!
Satuday morning I awake at dawn (literally) and several hours later am joined by family. Then my Mom and I are off to the salon while Kyle goes to enjoy a day of golf with my father. After the hair salon we head to the Bridal Salon where I try on my wedding dress and IT FITS! Wahoo! A quick bite to eat and we are off to the my house where my maid and matron of honor are throwing me a personal shower. We had such a good time and it was so much fun to spend time with my friends!
That night - after being forced to go swimming at midnight when Kyle returned from his golf adventure.....I collapse once again in total exhaustion.
Wake up and go to my dad's new house. Get to see my Dad finally. Visit. Eat Lunch. Go to Airport. Sorry Dad!
Our flight is delayed our of Tulsa, we run like maniacs through Detroit's Airport (yes, Detroit) and are the last people on the plane several minutes before the door shuts. Drama drama..bags doesnt fit in overhead compartment...drama drama...unloading..repacking...most hated people on any flight-EVER!....take off.
Arrive in Tampa at 12:05am. Get baggage. Catch Tram to Parking Lot. Drive the half hour to Plant City.
Sleep.
Beep Beep Beeep!!! Alarm at 6:30 Monday morning....Grrrrrr.....

So, I am so homesick because I was home - and yet I was barely there at all. It feels like I just am torturing myself because the trip was too short. Thankfully we will be there longer for Thanksgiving so it won't be so bad.

Tuesday is better - maybe I'll even unpack my suitcase.