Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The year of the Wedding

It has come to my attention that the year 2006 has officially become the year of the wedding.
Weddings are all that goes on on TV, in real life and in my mailbox. I don't even know single people. Everyone is married, when I tell people "My boyfriend and I...." they look at me like I'm an alien. "What! you aren't married!! Horror of horrors!". When was this all decided? Everyone is getting married, in fact after this year I think all the weddings for the next 20 or so years of my life are taken care of. I'm sure in 2 or 3 years we will land in The Year of the Baby. It's funny you know...the other day I made a list of the couples I knew who were getting married this year..and not like random people-like people I know and talk to on a semi-regular basis. 18 couples. 18! Even if I could go to half of them-I wouldnt be able to buy gifts for a third of them! I would gain 30 pounds from Wedding Cake alone! It's also a sickness you know... once the wedding bug gets going...it just spreads. I myself have a bridal magazine hidden under my couch. Yes, I am ashamed. But, for some reason unbeknownst to me....I want to have a wedding too! NOTE the wording here..."I want to have a wedding too." Is there something wrong with that? It seems like everything is focused on weddings and planning and dresses and flowers and cake toppers and yet you never hear anything mentioned past the honeymoon. Very interesting.... Did you know that the average wedding in America today costs 30, 000 dollars? And the average honeymoon is 4,000 dollars. That's like a nice car. My mom about fainted when I told her that, she said that she had a big wedding and it was beautiful and it didn't cost hardly anything in today's terms. But then again..that was 28 plus years ago. "I remember when a scoop of ice cream was a nickel.."
You know how those medical shows on TV stop you no matter what when you are surfing through channels? Well, that's me and wedding shows. They are on constantly;Bridezillas, Wedding Cake Competitions, Weddings on a Dime, The Knot Weddings, Father of the Bride, Four Weddings and a Funeral. I'm a addict.

Someone hit me with a bouquet.